Exit-intent popups are some of the most effective popups to boost conversion rates since they appear just before a visitor abandons your website.
According to Wisepops, email popups convert 3.8% of website visitors. So if your website gets 10,000 monthly visits, your popups will help you gain about 400 emails from one popup campaign.
Therefore, this article will explore 11 of the best free exit-intent popup software for WordPress. This will give you a good idea of which popup builder to use to capture more leads and drive conversions effectively.
What is an Exit-Intent Popup?
An exit intent popup is a form that tracks the visitors’ scrolling patterns and mouse movement and appears just before they leave your website to reduce bounce rates.
The exit popup typically has a valuable message or offer that draws visitors back to the website and hopefully converts them.
Here’s an example from Tim Ferriss:
The exit pop-up has a compelling headline — 17 questions that changed my life — and a straightforward download offer. The image also highlights Tim Ferriss, a popular influencer. And the exit-intent popup teases that the ebook will share some of the questions that have helped Tim Ferriss succeed.
Elements of an Effective Popups
Exit-intent popups can positively impact the user experience when used correctly. However, poorly designed popups or too many popups can annoy visitors and cause them to leave your website.
So, let’s look at what makes an exit-intent popup effective:
Copy. Your exit pop-up should convey a clear and concise message. Think about how it can offer a useful solution or solve a problem for your visitors. Some incentives you can offer visitors include free content (like an ebook), coupon codes, discount codes, or coupons.
Call to action (CTA). Use motivational phrases and words such as Buy Now or Grab your copy to make your CTA button clear and simple. Your offer should also align with your brand.
Background Image. Choose an eye-catching custom image that relates to your offer and connects with your target audience.
Design. Your popup should be easy to scan, clear, and responsive. It should also match your website’s design and theme.
11 Best Free Exit-Intent Popup Plugins for WordPress
Now, let’s look at the 11 best exit popup plugins for your WordPress website to help you convert visitors who were almost abandoning your site.
Sender is one of the best exit-intent popup software for WordPress websites. It’s designed to cater to ecommerce stores and small businesses getting started with email marketing.
The marketing automation platform offers a drag-and-drop builder that helps you create dynamic popups, signup forms, and newsletters to attract leads and nurture them to customers. It also has a library of professionally designed templates that helps you design stunning exit-intent popups in minutes.
Once you capture your subscribers’ emails, the platform will help you manage your email and SMS campaigns from a single dashboard. You won’t need to use third-party software or switch between tabs. You can also set up time-based or action-based triggers to send the right message at the right time to your recipients.
Sender integrates with CRMs and ecommerce platforms, including Shopify, PrestaShop, and WooCommerce. It also offers real-time analytics and insights to help you track how your email campaigns perform and adjust accordingly.
- Drag-and-drop design-builder to create and edit your emails and popups;
- Massive library of beautiful popup and form templates;
- High-converting custom popups to capture quality leads;
- Integration with leading CRMs and ecommerce platforms;
- Detailed reports to monitor and improve your campaign performance;
- One-stop email and SMS dashboard to quickly manage your email & SMS marketing campaigns;
- Segmentation and personalization to send targeted emails and increase customer engagement and sales.
Free Forever plan for up to 2,500 subscribers and 15,000 emails per month. Premium plans start at $8 per month.
2. Popupsmart — Popular Email List Builder
Popupsmart is one of the most popular WordPress exit intent popup builders for developers. It helps you create beautiful popups for your website without using any plugins.
As a result, you can create multiple types of exit-intent popups that monitor the visitor’s mouse behavior and convert them before they leave your website.
- User-friendly and easy-to-use interface;
- Mobile-responsive designs;
- Custom fonts, popup animations, and personalization options;
- Library of modern popup templates;
- Integration with popular email marketing tools and Zapier;
- Advanced analytics.
Free plan available. Premium plans start at $29 per month for 100,000 pageviews.
Optimonk is a simple exit-intent popup plugin for WordPress. It lets you capture potential customers, reduce cart abandonment, and promote special offers.
The exit popup plugin has a drag-and-drop builder that lets you design a popup from scratch or pick a template from one of their 300+ template designs. You can also find contact form templates designed specifically for collecting email addresses, shopping cart abandonment, and other functions.
OptiMonk also gives you access to modern exit popups, such as video popups, gamification popups, and lucky wheel popups. These interactive popups entice visitors by inviting them to take a specific action.
- A/B testing of opt-in forms;
- Drag-and-drop popup editor to create unlimited popups;
- Multiple exit-intent trigger options;
- Seamless integration with popular email services;
- Library of attractive templates.
Free plan available. The premium plan starts at $39 per month.
4. HubSpot — Best Responsive Popups
HubSpot is a platform that integrates various marketing tools—from live chat and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) to popup plugins and feedback systems.
The platform’s exit-intent popup plugin works best if you’re using HubSpot’s CRM. Its drag-and-drop builder and user-friendly interface make designing beautiful exit-intent popup forms easy.
The popup form will appear when the visitor moves their mouse cursor outside your website. After a user interacts with the form, it displays a thank you message or sends an automated email to the new contact.
You can customize your popup forms to target specific users based on data from their past behavior and visits.
- Choose which pages to display popup forms based on user behavior;
- Wide variety of popup templates to choose from;
- Integration with HubSpot CRM and email marketing system;
- Advanced analytics and data tracking options.
Free plan available. Premium plans start at $20 per month for up to 1000 marketing contacts.
5. Thrive Leads — User-Friendly Popup Plugin
Thrive Leads is another popular WordPress popup plugin with over 114,000 users.
It’s pretty simple to use and comes with a variety of templates. It has a basic popup builder with a drag-and-drop functionality to help you customize your popup forms.
The popup maker has advanced targeting features that help you show visitors more personalized offers based on tags, posts, categories, and more.
Aside from these, the WordPress popup plugin offers analytics and A/B testing to help you track your opt-in campaigns to improve their performance.
- Multiple types of popups, including popup lightbox, inline opt-in forms, 2-step opt-in, and screen filler overlay;
- Simple drag-and-drop popup editor;
- Advanced analytics and A/B testing for your popup forms;
- Integration with major email service providers;
- Mobile-friendly popups.
Starts at $299 per year for all Thrive Suite plugins, including Thrive Quizzes, Thrive Architect, and Thrive Apprentice.
OptinMonster is one of the most effective WordPress exit-intent popup plugins. Its easy-to-use drag-and-drop builder allows you to create eye-catching exit-intent popups.
The popup builder also has targeting and exit-intent triggers that give you control of when and where to display your popups on your website.
For example, you can display exit pop-ups based on:
- The number of pages visitors have viewed;
- User’s physical location;
- The time visitors have spent on your website;
- Whether the website users are new or returning visitors.
The campaign builder offers 50+ stunning templates specifically designed to re-engage abandoning website visitors. The templates are responsive and attractive, meaning they’ll work well on all devices.
- Library of ready-made exit-intent pop-up templates;
- Drag-and-drop popup builder;
- Integration with top email marketing platforms and ecommerce platforms;
- Multiple campaign types, including a floating notification bar, coupon wheel popups, and countdown timers.
Starts at $9 per month (billed annually).
7. Sumo List Builder
Sumo’s List Builder is a free WordPress popup plugin offering responsive exit-intent popups, which means they work on mobile phones too. The popup builder helps you collect a potential customer’s email address on your website to nurture them with marketing campaigns.
The popup maker allows you to change aspects of your popup, such as the button or background colors, and add elements like images and text.
List Builder also has an A/B tracking feature that helps you test your popups and determine which ones convert more.
The Pro plans offer advanced features such as targeting and exit-intent triggers, enabling you to target website visitors more accurately and display your notification popups on specific pages.
- 20+ contact form templates, including phone lead form, website feedback, and satisfaction survey;
- Add fields such as free-form questions, multiple-choice questions, and Net Promoter score;
- Display feedback popups on specific pages using targeting rules;
- Built-in reporting and integrations with MonsterInsights and Google Analytics;
- Schedule contact forms to appear at specific times.
Free plan available. Premium plan starts at $49 per month.
Bloom is a WordPress popup plugin developed by Elegant Themes. It offers an easy-to-use popup builder for small businesses.
The exit-intent plugin has a simple drag-and-drop popup maker and 100+ pre-built opt-in form templates, each with a professional touch and unique design.
It lets you design stunning exit-intent pop-ups and display them on various pages on your WordPress website. As a result, you can turn website visitors who were leaving into email subscribers, boosting your conversions.
Bloom supports seamless integration with email marketing software, including Constant Contact, Campaign Monitor, and MailChimp. This helps to grow your mailing list.
- Multiple opt-in types, including slide-ins and sidebars;
- Automatic lightbox popup;
- Premade subscription popup templates with easy customization options;
- Basic time delay, scroll triggers, and form submission;
- Integrates with popular email marketing platforms.
Starts at $89 per year for Elegant Themes membership.
Elementor is one of the most popular WordPress page builders.
Its drag-and-drop interface for designing notification popups helps you create beautiful exit-intent pop-ups that attract users about to leave your website. The plugin also offers a library of subscription popup templates, which you can customize quickly.
The WordPress plugin provides advanced targeting options for its exit-intent pop-ups. As a result, you can choose to display your notification popups on specific pages, blog posts, or categories.
In addition, Elementor gives you access to all the standard Elementor sidebar widgets, giving you flexibility when creating content for your custom forms. For example, you can easily incorporate countdown timers, social sharing, and CTAs.
- Custom-make your own subscription forms;
- Integrates with CRM platforms and email marketing software;
- Show the popup specific pages, posts, or categories;
- Drag-and-drop popup builder.
Free plan available. Premium plans start at $59 per year for 1 Pro Website.
Hustle is a popup builder that helps you choose a pre-built template and quickly create unique notification popups, embeds, and exit intent pop-ups.
Its stunning exit-intent feature displays your targeted offer or message that grabs your visitor’s attention when they’re about to leave your website. And with its advanced targeting feature, you can target website users more precisely.
The exit intent pop-up plugin also tracks all data to help you analyze your performance and improve your campaigns.
In addition, Hustle supports both the Classic editor and Gutenberg Block editor, eliminating the need for shortcodes. The WordPress popup builder plugin also integrates with popular email marketing platforms to grow your email list.
- Supports Gutenberg and Classic editor;
- Set schedules for when the notification popups will display;
- Wide range of templates to choose from;
- Integration with popular email marketing services and form builder plugins.
Free plan available. Premium plans start at $19 per month.
Trustmary is a popup software ideal for traditional brands that want to get more business from their website. It’s also perfect for ecommerce stores that want to boost sales with social proof and users who want an easy popup builder with ready-made popups.
In other words, if you want to boost your website with customer reviews, Trustmary is the tool for you.
Trustmary’s exit-intent popups are supercharged with reviews, which makes them very effective.
Editing and customizing the popups is easy in the widget editor. You can add your brand colors, fonts, images, and logo.
The exit-intent popups can feature lead generation forms, CTAs, or discount codes.
Targeting the popups on chosen pages is simple: just add the URLs of pages where you want to use the popup.
- Add reviews to your popups;
- Collect leads;
- Targeting and segmentation;
- Customizable templates;
- Integrations via Zapier.
Depends on how many views you need for your popups. The free plan includes 200 views.
Exit-intent popups are powerful tools for increasing engagement and conversions. The 11 exit-intent popup builders discussed above can help you create effective popups that capture your visitors’ attention and encourage them to take action before leaving your website.
Remember to offer valuable incentives on your popups to engage visitors and avoid overwhelming users with too many notification popups.
Overall, with the right exit-intent technology and approach, you can turn visitors into real customers and boost your bottom line.